The GB potato‐processing sector
- Over the past year processed potato products accounted for c.71% of the value retail sales for potatoes and derived products (Kantar, 52 w/e 14 July 2019). This was worth a combined £2.5 billion.
- Collectively PPA members are the largest customers for GB potatoes, processing approximately 1.4 million tonnes of potatoes annually.
- 30% of the GB planted potato area is intended processing, and around 50% of this is grown in Yorkshire and the East of England (2019).
- There are currently more than 11,740 people in employment throughout our sector. Other jobs dependent on our supply chains are likely to more than double this total.
- The potato crisp sector is helping to drive exports: in 2018 the sector exported more than £89 million worth of product, an export market value that has grown by 87% over the last 10 years.